POSTPONED – Podiatric Ultrasound (Imaging)
Time:8.45am - 5.15pm both days
Location:The Wiggin Training Centre at Sir Robert Peel Hospital, Mile Oak, Tamworth B78 3NG
Tutor:Consultant MSK Podiatrist Mr Abid Ali,
CFPodM, MFPM RCPS(Glasg)
Cost:Theory only (online)
Members £150 Non-Members £175
Theory and Practical
Members £550 Non-Members £625
Lunches £12 for the two days
Sponsored by Celtic SMR Healthcare
The aim of the programme is to educate and train suitably qualified Podiatrists in the safe and competent use of diagnostic ultrasound imaging for musculoskeletal conditions.
The intensive programme is split into 2 stages with an optional extra 1:1 advanced tutorial, for those that wish to further sharpen their skills.
Intended learning outcomes
- Basic understanding of the science of ultrasound.
- Thorough understanding and in-depth knowledge of ultrasound instrumentation and equipment.
- Critical knowledge in ultrasound safety, careful patient selection and limitations of diagnostic ultrasound.
- To understand the terminology used in sonographic imaging.
- To appreciate the limitations of ultrasound scanning as a diagnostic tool.
- Critical evaluation of common anatomical landmarks.
- Understanding legalities of obtaining and storing ultrasound images for record keeping.
- Understanding of basic anatomy common landmarks and appreciation of corresponding sonographic images.
- Enhancement of clinical practical skills with ultrasound equipment.
- Critical assessment of ultrasound imaging to help aid appropriate diagnosis and to help form an appropriate treatment plan.
- To receive a certificate of competency in musculoskeletal diagnostic ultrasound of the foot and ankle.
Will include advanced scanning techniques and condition specific pathological training and USS of the knee.
- Course details
At the end of the theory there will be Multiple Choice Questions, which must be passed for acceptance onto the practical course. This helps to ensure maximum practical scanning time on the 2 day course.
- Basic ultrasound principles
- Basic foot/Ankle anatomy
- Basic Image interpretation
- Basic Instrumentation
- Basic ultrasound terminology
- Patient selection and ultrasound safety
Morning – Basic Instrumentation/Knobology
(Learn your way around any ultrasound Machine)
– Image interpretation and normal anatomy (practical)
Afternoon – Basic scanning techniques foot/ankle and guided injections
Morning – Forefoot / Midfoot
Afternoon – Hindfoot / Midfoot
– Refresher and practical OSCE
MORE DATES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!!
Approved by the Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists
Consultant Mr Abid Ali – ESP Musculoskeletal Podiatrist
- 15 years experience in specialist musculoskeletal services for the NHS
- Highly experienced in Prescription Orthotics
- Performed over 20,000 successful injection procedures
- Uses the latest technology and medicines
- Specialist in sports injuries & children’s walking problems
- BSc (Hons) Podiatry, University of Northampton.
- Post-graduate training in Biomechanics, Physiological regulating medicine, Orthopaedic Medicine, Prolotherapy, Biopuncture, Dermal Fillers and Ultrasound Guided Injection Therapy.
- Qualified to perform Diagnostic Ultrasound Scanning.
- Over 25,000 successful orthotic prescriptions.
- Vice Chairman, Board of Executives (IOCP).
- Consultant Fellow Podiatric Medicine (IOCP)
- Member of the Faculty of Podiatric Medicine, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
- Editor, The review (Podiatric medicine national (IOCP) journal
- Lecturer in Musculoskeletal Podiatric Medicine, and Diagnostic Ultrasound Scanning
I specialise in diagnoses and treatment of the lower limb and foot/ankle but can also help with specific conditions affecting the upper limb and spine. My current workload in Orthopaedic triage involves working alongside Orthopaedics, sports meds, rheumatology and surgical appliances.
I am currently embarking on a number of research projects. Professionally keeping up to date with the latest technology, in the pursuit of advancing clinical and theoretical biomechanics.
Adrian Burman BSc (Hons), BSc (Hons), PGDip, PGCert
- 13 years imaging experience.
- 11 years ultrasound experience.
- A highly skilled, and motivated diagnostic medical Sonographer with a wealth of knowledge in all routine and many specialist areas of diagnostic medical ultrasound.
- Started career as a fitness professional following a sports and exercise science degree from the Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Worked for the Marriott hotel chain and was responsible for setting up and running of fitness programs for its staff and residents.
- Went on to further my skills by completing a second degree in diagnostic radiography at the University of Central England in Birmingham, where I remained for several years at the prestigious Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.
- Having excelled at diagnostic radiography, moved on to specialise in diagnostic ultrasound and in particular Musculoskeletal ultrasound(MSKus).
I have a tenacious approach to my work and with my previous knowledge of sports science along with the huge diversity of my specialisms you can be confident on the service, you will receive.
In the past two years I have taken my skills into the private sector, creating my own company providing diagnostic ultrasound services to GP’s hospitals and various clinics in the community as well as on a part time basis providing ultrasound support to the well know medical device company Sonosite/FUJIFILM and MINDRAY UK as a Clinical Application Specialist for point of care.
Supported and sponsored by Celtic SMR
Celtic SMR has been supplying healthcare professions with imaging equipment for over 30 years and provide the latest technology for total imaging and therapeutic laser solutions. All Healthcare professionals will find a scanner suited for their speciality within the SonoScape range.
The SonoScape diagnostic ultrasound devices create images with outstanding resolution to help you make fast and accurate diagnosis of musculoskeletal (MSK) related injuries. Our scanners provide real-time imaging of soft tissues (like tendon and muscle), joint structures (articulations), blood vessels, internal organs, etc. These scanners are extremely helpful for guiding injection therapy techniques like intra-articular injections and needle aspirations.
Full user training is provided. Our dedicated sales and service team ensures that all equipment is backed by our commitment to customer service and engineering expertise.
This course is held at The Wiggin training centre at Sir Robert Peel Hospital, Mile Oak, Tamworth B78 3NG.
photo courtesy of Martin Harvey
There is on-site parking available (car park charges apply) and the Hospital is very conveniently located some 3 minutes journey from Junction 10 of the M42 motorway via the A5 bypass, making it an easily accessible location from the M6, M5, A5 as well as Tamworth mainline railway station and Birmingham international airport.
Packed lunches can be pre-arranged at extra charge onsite (vegetarian options if required).
The procedure is covered by the Institutes band 4 insurance for appropriately trained members and fellows.
This course is approved and certified by The Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists