Chiropodists and Podiatrists in the UK are regulated by law. Misconduct, dangerous or unethical actions can result in sanctions against them or ultimately striking off and being prevented from practising by the Health and Care Professions Council which also regulates their training etc. There is no statutory regulation of training, standards or their professional actions for the growing number of Foot Health Practitioners (FHPs).
In response to this, and to set a benchmark for training, standards, ethics and continuing professional development, the Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists as a foremost national body for HCPC registrants founded the College of Foot Health, drawing on its more than sixty years of experience in the profession of Chiropody and Podiatry.
Application for membership of the College of Foot Health is open to Foot Health Practitioners who can demonstrate a level of recognised training, practice and ethics that meets the high standards required. Membership is also granted to IOCP Associates and successful graduates from the Institute’s Foot Health training program. Individuals who do not currently fully meet the required standards may undertake additional training through the College and if successful be awarded membership.
Members of the College are required to carry comprehensive professional indemnity insurance equivalent to the Institute’s group policy and we do recommend that members of the College take advantage of the excellent professional indemnity insurance that has been specially negotiated by the Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists on their behalf and also undertake annual continuing professional development as well as have current first / emergency aid training.
The grant of membership is designed to clearly announce the professional status of the Foot Health Practitioner who has gained it, demonstrate their recognition by a respected podiatry organisation and carries with it the right to use the post nominal letters MCFH.
Here are 10 Benefits of being a member of the College of Foot Health:
- All Foot Health Practitioners can apply to join The College of Foot Health’s industry leading malpractice Insurance Cover Scheme.
- Members receive quarterly issues of Podiatry Review, which can contribute to your Continued Professional Development.
- The annual conference and AGM is an excellent source of professional development: including lectures, workshops and master classes (plus a great dinner dance!)
- Members receive Continuing Professional Development Support– Guidance and assistance with the members continuing professional development portfolio and a 20% discount on Elsevier academic books.
- Members can enjoy business support from our advice partners.
- Access to the members area of the Institute website, which contains the latest news, information, online Continuing Professional Development and discussion forum
- Members can join the IOCP ‘Find a Practitioner’ service to promote your business to members of the public finding the IOCP website through search engines.
- Members can network through local member branches, situated throughout Britain, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland for peer support and CPD events.
- Members have access to a confidential advice service, including advice from the IOCP Medicines and Procedures Panel
- Members are eligible for The Institute’s awards scheme
Complete the membership application form for the College of Foot Health along with 2 referee statements and copies of certificates relevant to this application to The College of Foot Health, 150 Lord Street, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 0NP
If you have any questions please contact the IOCP Head Office on +44 (0)1704 546 141 or email email@example.com