The History of the IOCP
Early in 1938 there were some twenty different organisations representing chiropodists. The Joint Council of Chiropodists was accordingly formed and held its inaugural meeting in London, October 1938.
In 1955, the Council was registered as a company, limited by guarantee, with permission from the Board of Trade to dispense with the word “Limited” from its title. In consequence of its incorporation, the Council became known as “The Institute of Chiropodists”.
In January 1997, the Institute changed its name at an Extraordinary General Meeting and is now known as “The Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists”.